*This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Paint markers look like a marker but instead have, you guessed it, paint! These permanent markers can be used for creative arts and crafts as well masterpieces on glass, porcelain, wood and virtually anything else.
You can make whatever design you wish with whatever colors you want. The opportunities are endless for what you can create using paint markers.
But are these paint markers waterproof?
Once it is dry, paint markers are permanent making it resistant to water and rain. However they aren’t entirely waterproof as you can’t submerge it in water as that will eventually cause it to come off.
Paint markers have to be shaken before use and sometimes it takes just a little bit for the ink to come out. Once the paint is at the tip of the marker you can begin your creativity on the desired surface.
Higher priced paint markers are worth the cost but there are some good quality paint markers that are affordable too.
Some restaurants like to have someone come and “paint” their windows with these paint markers to add character to the building and draw people inside.
Another use for the paint markers is called tire lettering where people customize the look of their tires by writing on them with the acrylic pens.
To see the most popular paint markers on the market just click here.
Are Paint Markers Permanent Or Washable?
You are using your paint marker to create lovely designs. You hold your masterpiece in the air to examine the artwork when you notice a streak of color where it doesn’t belong.
Is it ruined? Or is there a way it can be fixed?
Paint markers are permanent, although you will need to check the packaging and description to see if the paint can be washed off at all before it dries as it can vary by brand.
You can tweak your artwork when the paint is still wet but once it dries it will be permanent. If it comes down to it you can try using some acetone to remove the paint.
Most paint markers say that they are permanent when in fact it isn’t entirely true. High pressure solvents such as acetone can remove the paint from paint makers.
Paint markers are washable from skin and clothing however.
Some brands say that their paint markers can be washed off with water while others say that it is permanent. It all depends on the brand.
How Long Do Paint Markers Last?
Your paint markers have helped you make some wonderful arts and crafts. You have enjoyed coloring glass, wood, plastic, etc. Their bold and vivid colors make your artistic skills pop out for an eyeful of wonder.
With all of this use, you may be wondering how long they will last until you need to purchase some more.
If paint markers are already opened they can last anywhere from one to two years with the right care and storage.
Most paint markers come with a handy case for storing the markers easily. By utilizing the case you can extend how long the markers will last. Be sure to place the cap back on the markers when they aren’t being used so they won’t dry out.
Doing this will help you not have to constantly be buying more paint markers and give you the maximum life for the markers you have.
By following these simple tips you can enjoy the colors of your paint markers for a year or two before having to buy another package. When it does come time to buy more, acrylic paint pens are perfect for all of your artistic hobbies and crafts.
Some of the best acrylic paint pens will be listed further on in this article.
Are Paint Markers And Paint Pens The Same?
Called by many names, paint markers are perfect for being crafty with coloring. They can also be called paint pens. Brands may differ on what their markers or pens are called but they are all the same.
Paint markers and paint pens are the same and used the same way. They both have paint in them for colorful artwork and can be used on any surface.
Acrylic paint marker pens can be used on almost anything.
They can be used on both rough and smooth surfaces or light and dark materials. Glass, wood, metal, porcelain, plastic, fabric, rubber, leather, all can be painted with a paint marker or paint pen.
Here is a list of the best acrylic paint markers:
- Artistro Acrylic Paint Pens have an extra fine tip for all those fine details. Coming in a wide range of colors, they are easy to blend and use. It may take time to get the ink flowing but the good quality in which they are made make for a smooth application.
- Arteza Acrylic Paint Markers come in a wide range of vibrant colors. They feature replaceable tips and are two sided for double the fun. You can alternate between the bold and fine tips. Ink from these paint markers is non-toxic and flows smoothly. They even come with a handy case for storage.
- Niutop Acrylic Paint Pens are affordable and have extra fine tips. Their high quality makes them glide smoothly. They can be used on different surfaces.
- Uni Posca Paint Marker Pens feature an extra fine point and come in a wide range of colors. They offer great coverage and are perfect for rock painting or painting other uneven surfaces. The ink from these paint markers dries quickly but can be cleaned with water.
- Sakura Pen-touch Paint Markers have an opaque finish with long lasting results. Its ink is thick but dries fast. They have replaceable tips and can be used on different surfaces.
- Zeyar Water-Based AcrylicPaint Pens come in a wide range of colors and have a fine tip for detailed work. It doesn’t splatter paint after shaking it and comes with a storage box. These are great for any age.
- Molotow ONE4ALL Acrylic Paint Marker Set has durable quality while also being affordable. When using these paint markers it allows you to smudge while working but still quickly dries. They come in rich colors and a storage case.
Paint markers/pens are a great way to be creative with any material to make it colorful and beautifully designed. You can draw whatever you want and have fun doing it.
Paint markers are supposed to be waterproof so that they cannot be washed away in the rain or with water. However they are not designed to be used for items that are submerged in water.
There are so many brands to choose from for all your hand-colored craft needs.