Do Animals (Dogs, Cats, Rabbits, Etc.) Eat Legos?


Do Animals (Dogs, Cats, Rabbits, Etc.) Eat Legos?

*This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Animals view the world very differently than we do, and since their sense of taste and smell are both incredibly heightened, they use them to identify things they find odd. 

Add to that, they are incredibly curious, and bound to put foreign elements into their mouths to figure out what it is. That is why I have seen my cats eat anything from lizard tails to yarn and even bubble wrap so there is no doubt that they are more than likely to accidentally eat a Lego piece.

I don’t remember how many times I have chased my cats around the house and opened their mouths so I can inspect what is inside and believe me, there is always something inside. 

I know that some people think that animals might be okay if they eat things that they shouldn’t but some things can be toxic and can result in death if it is not immediately addressed!

All animals (whether they are dogs, cats, or rabbits) will certainly eat Legos which in turn could be dangerous for them. You should always avoid touching Legos when you have food or grease on your hands to try and keep them from smelling appetizing. 

It’s also a good idea to keep the Legos put away if your animals continue to eat your Legos over and over again. Although a large dog or cat eating Legos once is unlikely to injure them it is always a possibility so if it can be avoided then it should be! 

The problem with Legos is that they are small and colorful and since there are a lot of them, it means that it is easy for animals and children to accidentally ingest them. Most of the time, it can be stopped if you see them eating them but if you are not lucky enough to reach them before they swallow it then it will end up in their stomach (or worse). 

If you have a critter who would love to have Lego on their menu, then this article is for you!

To see the most popular Lego sets that are on the market currently just click here. 

What Should You Do If Your Pet Accidentally Swallows A Lego?

Living things are not able to digest plastic and should they swallow some, it will remain in their digestive tract until it is “passed”. Since Legos are made of strong plastic, they can be deadly to animals. 

In most cases, almost nothing happens if a dog or cat swallows a Lego piece however, diarrhea, vomiting, pain in the stomach, fatigue, behavioral changes, and irritation are the most commonly occurring issues when they eat a Lego. 

If you catch your animal before they can swallow it or if it gets stuck in their throat then carefully try to extract it from their mouth using a pair of tweezers or call your vet immediately. 

Another way to deal with a swallowed Lego is by inducing vomiting but this will only work if they have eaten the Lego entirely and it is not stuck in their throat. 

First, feed your animal so that there is something in their stomach that cushions them from the sharp edges of the Lego, then feed them one teaspoon of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide per ten pounds of body weight.

They should probably vomit in under 15 minutes and if they don’t, you can try again but don’t give them a third dose. Just wait to see if it passes naturally and if it doesn’t then it is time to visit the vet. 

Not all pet owners may be comfortable with using hydrogen peroxide because it requires precision and it might even be difficult for your pet when the Lego comes back up. 

You can perform the Heimlich maneuver if your pet starts choking but it is better that you leave this to the vet if at all possible. If the Lego that has been swallowed is quite small then just letting it stay inside your pet until it “passes” is likely your best option. 

Possible Issues When Pets Swallow Legos

As mentioned earlier, when pets swallow a Lego it typically won’t be a major issue and the Lego will just pass through their body however, some major issues can happen rarely. 

I will mention those rare issues below. 

Peritonitis

Since Legos have very sharp edges they can damage your pet internally and cause infections.  Peritonitis is another condition that might be a risk to your pet. 

A perforated abdominal cavity or a ruptured intestine by a foreign object is the most common cause of peritonitis.

If your pet is bleeding, has abdominal pain, or has a fever then they likely have a bacterial infection that needs to be treated immediately or it may result in death. You need to take them to the vet as soon as they show any symptoms of fever, pain, or discomfort because your quick intervention will save them.

Gastrointestinal Blockage

If your dog (or other pet) swallows a Lego then the first thing you need to do is determine the size of the Lego that was swallowed because big ones are more likely to get lodged inside the stomach, large intestine, and small intestine. 

However, in some cases, even smaller pieces can be life-threatening as well. 

The blockage will affect how your pet eats and poops. Diarrhea means that the blockage is small enough that it allows liquids to pass through and constipation means that there is a complete blockage, both of these situations are incredibly concerning. 

In some cases the problem solves itself but you should visit the vet to make sure that there isn’t any lasting damage caused by the blockage and the Lego.

How To Prevent Your Animals From Eating Legos And Other Toys?

In case you have children and animals who are at risk of ingesting Legos, vigilance is key. Being aware of what is laying around the house or room is crucial because I know from personal experience that animals and babies will put virtually anything inside their mouths. 

The best thing you can do is set up a separate space for toys and double-check to see you put them all away before you allow your pets to enter that area if they are regularly trying to eat the toys or Legos. 

Another important step you can take is that you either make sure to clean the Legos or you have to be careful about touching the toys with food-stained hands because your dog or cat will smell the food and eat them, thinking it is food. 

Pets do get a better idea of what is food and what isn’t as they grow older but if your animal is a repeat offender then you might have to muzzle him/her when you leave them unsupervised or always make sure to put the small Legos and toys away. 

We all know that it is nearly impossible to control animals all of the time, even highly trained dogs are curious and are tempted to eat things they aren’t supposed to. 

It may be frightening when your animal eats a Lego but in most cases, it passes without a problem but taking them to a vet is always a good idea (or at least call them) as they can ensure things are alright. As always prevention is better than cure so make sure to keep all the toys locked away so that this scary situation doesn’t occur in the first place.

Recent Posts