*This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
One of the most popular educational tools is the puzzle. Its unique designs and many pieces challenge the user’s brain. There are different puzzles for every age and level of expertise.
From easy and adorable toddler puzzles to hard and challenging adult puzzles, anyone can enjoy solving them.
If you are wondering how much a puzzle can weigh, it all depends on the size of it.
Bigger puzzles will weigh more than smaller ones and it can also depend on what it’s made out of. Wooden puzzles will also be heavier than cardboard puzzles.
In general a 1,000 piece puzzle will weigh 1.3lbs, while a 42,000 piece puzzle (yes they sell these) will weigh over 42lbs! A 3,000 piece puzzle will come in at a little over 4lbs.
These numbers are for normal paper puzzles but wooden puzzles for kids will weigh a lot more. A basic wooden peg puzzle (with letters, numbers, animals, etc) will weigh around 2-2.5lbs.
To see the most popular puzzles currently on the market just click here.
How Much Does A 1,000 Piece Jigsaw Puzzle Weigh?
Most 1000 piece jigsaw puzzles aren’t exactly 1000 pieces since there aren’t very many ways to make a puzzle with that exact amount that won’t look a little odd. If these puzzles are cut on a rectangular grid then it would be the most common layout of 27 rows and 38 columns and 27×38=1,026 pieces.
Saying this, how much a puzzle will weigh all depends on the size of the puzzle in question.
Most puzzles that are 1000 pieces are going to be around 1.3 pounds but this can vary according to the puzzle and the puzzle manufacturer.
Puzzles are relatively light so that after being completed you can glue them together and frame them for wall art. Just measure the puzzle and purchase the appropriate frame for the size.
A cheap frame will do just fine unless your puzzle is massive. Then consider buying a sturdier frame for your puzzle picture.
If you are going to mail a puzzle, you would need a separate box to place it in for shipping and in all this will most likely add up to 2-3 pounds but like I said before this depends on the size of the puzzle and if it’s made with a heavier material or not.
How Much Does A Ravensburger Puzzle Weigh?
Ravensburger is a company founded in Germany that produces books, board games, playing cards, hobby projects, and you guessed it, puzzles!
Their merchandise is exported to more than 50 countries throughout the world. They are actually quite famous for their puzzles since they are made of linen-embossed paper and cardboard and are excellent quality.
Ravensburgur makes puzzles in many different sizes. One of their 1000 piece puzzles measures at 14.75×10.75×2.25 inches and will weigh 1.6 lbs.
This famous game making company has a lot of “did-you-know’ facts that I thought were very intriguing:
- A 1000 piece ravensburger puzzle has 1008 pieces to keep the rectangular shape
- Their puzzles are made with nontoxic materials including water based glues and inks.
- A wooden puzzle entitled, ”Geographical Puzzle” was Ravensburger’s first puzzle made in 1892.
- In 2008, they set a world record when they constructed a puzzle of over one million pieces. (1,141,800 to be exact)
- Because of their perfectly fitting pieces, you can pick up a Ravensburger puzzle by the corners and it will stay together.
Should You Get Unique Puzzles?
Crisp air blows between the mountain’s jagged, dimensional rocks and emerald evergreen trees reach toward puffy, white clouds painted on the light blue sky. Four slender deer drink from a lake’s cold crystal-clear water reflecting the mountain’s snow-topped summit while a mama bear and her cubs walk along the treeline.
This is the description of “Yosemite” a 500 piece jigsaw puzzle by the company Wentworth. Puzzles have a way of creating a beautiful scene that comes to life right before your eyes.
Puzzles range from easy to difficult and come in a variety of shapes and colors. Unique puzzles are mesmerizing and certainly enjoyable to solve.
Adults enjoy puzzles too and if you are looking for some interesting ones with amazing designs here are a few options:
- “Fade” Puzzle – This 1000 pieces features bright colors and an illusion design
- “Cinque Terre” Puzzle – 1000 pieces depicting the coastal region of Italy and is a best seller on Amazon
- “Hundred Birds Paying Homage To The Phoenix” Puzzle – This circular shaped puzzle is made up of wooden pieces with unique shapes.
- “Frank LLoyd Wright Saguaro Forms and Cactus Flower” Puzzle – This image was designed for a magazine cover and its gold foil-stamped pisces make it shine.
- “Jonathan Adler Now House Vertigo” Puzzle – 1000 pieces of rainbow colored abstract art
Let’s not leave the kids out! Here are some puzzles created just for them:
- Melissa & Doug USA 51-Piece Floor Puzzle – Younger kids will enjoy this 51 piece puzzle showing the location of all 50 states along with capitals and information about each state.
- Melissa & Doug Safari Jumbo Knob Puzzle – 1 year old and up can learn their animals with this cute 3 piece puzzle that is made with extra thick wood.
- Melissa & Doug Construction Vehicles Wooden Jigsaw Puzzle With Storage Tray – Made with 48 wooden pieces and geared toward children 3-5 years old, this puzzle features construction and vehicles.
- Rolife 3D Wooden Puzzle – Branching out from the status quo, older kids will develop their problem solving skills using this 3D puzzle that comes in all kinds of challenging shapes.
- KIDZCO PUZZLES Wooden Personalized Name Puzzle – Kids can solve a puzzle of their own names with this colorful fun puzzle while teaching them letters and spelling.
Interesting Puzzle Facts
Let’s take a quick look at some fascinating facts about puzzles.
- “Dissectology” is the study of puzzles and a “dissectologist” is one who enjoys jigsaw puzzles.
- The jigsaw puzzle made its debut in the 18th century as a map cut with a saw and was sold as a geography teaching tool.
- Puzzles were not mass produced until the die-cut machine was introduced in the 20th century. Metal dies were used to create each one, pressed down on cardboard or softwood and then cut into pieces.
- In the 19th century, owning a jigsaw puzzle was desired by rich families to use for educational purposes.
- Throughout history, puzzles provided a distraction from hard times. When people didn’t have anything to do they could do a puzzle.
- Jigsaw puzzles are good for your mind, body, and spirit. They are proven to help your mental health and decrease memory loss along with being considered a meditation tool.
- You can solve a puzzle online and they even have a 3D version.
- When you are done completing a puzzle you can save it by rolling it up in a puzzle mat or gluing and framing your masterpiece.
Puzzles all vary in weight and size but the great thing is that you can choose whatever puzzle you would like.
Pick one that interests you.
One that ends in a beautiful landscape or one that is bright and artsy. Whether it is unique and difficult or simple and fun, puzzles are for everyone!