*This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Baby dolls play an important role in early childhood development. They offer kids lots of opportunities for developing their cognitive, fine motor, and self-help skills.
As a child’s pretend play skills develop, so do their self-feeding skills! Playing with a baby doll gives them the opportunity to practice appropriately holding and using feeding items such as spoons, bottles, cups, forks, bowls, etc.
Baby Alive is one of the most interactive baby dolls. They have been around since 1973 and were first released by a company called Kenner before Hasbro took it over in 2006. It all started with a very simple idea to create a realistic doll that children would love to take care of.
When it was first released, it could be fed food packets mixed with water, and came with a bottle, diapers, and feeding spoon. Baby Alive is still really popular today even though not too much has changed from the original idea.
But with all the “food” going in, how do you make sure your doll stays clean?
Can you wash them in the tub? Are they waterproof so you can clean them easily?
Some Baby Alive dolls are waterproof such as the Shimmer and Splash Mermaid. Other Baby Alive dolls (such as those that take batteries) are not waterproof and should only be wiped down but never submerged in water.
Baby Alive has many different types of dolls. Some are meant to go into the bath or pool, like Shimmer and Splash Mermaid, so you can submerge them in water. Every other Baby Alive doll that is not specifically meant for the water, should not be submerged.
Many Baby Alive dolls have batteries and other parts that should not come in contact with water because they will either begin to rust or just break completely.
To see the most popular Baby Alive dolls currently available just click here.
How Do You Clean The Outside Of The Baby Alive Doll & Accessories?
If your Baby Alive doll is not supposed to be submerged in water you might be wondering what the best way is to clean them.
To clean the doll’s face and body gently wipe it with a soft damp cloth, but make sure not to rub too hard. Make sure not to wash the doll’s hair. If any food gets into the hair just simply wipe it away with a soft damp cloth.
To clean the dolls accessories such as a spoon, bowl, or bottle you should hand wash them with mild dish soap and water…they are NOT dishwasher safe as they will likely melt or warp from the water’s heat.
The doll’s clothes are machine washable. Use mild detergent and cold water on the gentle cycle. Use only non-chlorine bleach when needed and tumble dry on low heat.
Clothes can also be spot cleaned with a damp cloth.
How Do You Clean The Inside Of A Baby Alive Doll?
If your Baby Alive doll “eats” or “drinks” something it is vitally important that you properly clean the doll afterwards. This should be done to prevent mold from growing as well as to prevent any leftover “food” from starting to stink.
It’s important to rinse the doll immediately after each use.
To clean the inside of a Baby Alive doll you should fill the bottle or sippy cup full of cold clean water and rinse the doll the same way you fed her until the water runs clear (it’s best to do this over a sink).
Use a soft damp cloth or paper towel to wipe away any excess water on the doll’s mouth. You will then need to make sure the doll is fully dry before putting it away.
Do not submerge the doll in water unless it is specifically designed for that.
If the doll has not been cleaned out or you are buying it from a secondhand shop you can also use very warm water (not hot) and white vinegar on the inside of the doll to give it a really good cleaning.
If it is not cleaned properly the remnants inside the doll can grow mold and mildew.
Top Rated Baby Alive Dolls
If you do not already have your own favorite doll, you may be asking yourself which Baby Alive doll is the best.
With so many different types, it can be hard to choose so here are some of the highest rated Baby Alive dolls.
- The most popular by far is the Baby Alive Real As Can Be Baby. It is the most realistic doll and this baby has over 80 lifelike expressions and even turns her head when you talk to her. She also giggles and makes cooing noises when you play with her.
- Next is the super popular Baby Alive Lil’ Splashes Mermaid doll. The Lil’ Splashes Mermaid baby doll is tons of fun in and out of the water! Kids can clip a mermaid tail on this baby doll for water play fun. It comes with a mermaid tail and pacifier.
- The next on the list is Baby Alive Baby Go Bye Bye. She crawls on the floor like a real baby and giggles, moves, and speaks.
- Another popular doll is the Baby Alive Face Paint Fairy doll. At first it looks like any ordinary Baby Alive doll, but when you put ice water on her skin, it reveals a beautiful face paint design. Like the other Baby Alive dolls she drinks and wets her diaper.
- Next is the Baby Alive Sweet Tears baby. This doll is different from most other dolls in that it shows clues when she’s not feeling well. Her nose turns red when she’s in pain or not feeling well. It also comes with some really cool accessories like a brush, tissue, bandage, thermometer, and stethoscope.
- Next is the Baby Alive Lil’ Sips. This doll sips tea from the cup and kettle in the package before she wets her diaper.
- Another one is the Baby Alive Step N’ Giggle. This doll has 25+ phrases and sounds. She also drinks, wets her diaper, and has adorable light up shoes.
- The Baby Alive Magic Mixer baby is a lifelike doll who eats, drinks, and wets her diaper like the others, but also comes with a mini mixer that kids love to use to mix up the baby’s food. It’s perfect for ages 3 and up.
- The next one is the Baby Alive Luv n’ Snuggle baby. This one is a simple design that is geared more towards younger preschool age kids. Unlike most of the other Baby Alive dolls, this one does not speak or move.
- And lastly is the Baby Alive Play n’ Style doll. Unlike the other dolls on this list, you will not have to change this one’s diapers. This one is all about experimenting with different hairstyles. It comes with a brush, hairdryer, and other clips and barrettes.
Baby Alive dolls are really well put together so whichever you choose for your little one, you can rest assured that they will love and enjoy it for manys years to come!